Vic Cracknell’s weekly gig guide looks ahead to the feast of live music over the Queen’s Jubilee weekend and beyond...
IT WAS an enjoyable gig with my swing band at The Mill in Haslemere last week – and we return on Friday, June 24.
As we head into the Platinum Jubilee weekend, it would be impossible to list all the local events that will feature live music as there is so much on – but here are some of the events coming up.
Petersfield Spring Festival is on each day of the Jubilee weekend with food stalls, live music and more sponsored by the Square Brewery. Live music each evening from Thursday to Saturday with Slipped Disc, Black Cherry Jam and At The Bar.
The Bat and Ball, Farnham, has live music from tonight (Thursday) to Sunday including Paul Hemsley, The Serial Thrillers and Flick.
Tomorrow and Saturday it’s Shynefest at Merrist Wood, Guildford. Acts include the Lightning Seeds – who were very popular at Weyfest last time – Corduroy, The Farleys and many more.
All day into the evening on Saturday there is Party In Grayshott including The TR5’s, Ellie Reidy, Nefarious Picaroons and Copper Head. There will be a parade, a fun fair and market stalls.
Also on Saturday is the return of Lurgashall Fete after a couple of years.
Always a lovely traditional fete with bouncy castle, the legendary “dog race”, candy floss, Mr Magic the entertainer –and also my swing band will be playing.
On Sunday it’s the Big Jubilee Lunch with many events taking place.
Farnham’s Gostrey Meadow will feature music from the Ultimate Party Band, Vic Cracknell Swing Band, Eclectica and Omiros Duo.
I hope the weather will be kind for all the outdoor Jubilee activities.
Looking a little further ahead, next Thursday (June 9) Grizzly Rhys Morgan plays at the Hogs Back Brewery, Tongham.
An accomplished singer, songwriter and guitarist, Grizzly has been entertaining audiences most of his life. His distinctive raw vocals and original music ranges from folk songs to foot-stomping roots and blues tunes.
Meanwhile Rushmoor Male Voice Choir will be singing at Haslemere Methodist Church on Saturday, June 11 at 7.30pm in aid of Ukraine.
On Saturday, June 25 at Farnborough Football Club there will be live music with Twister (London pop-glam-pop-punkers), Your Idiot Sidekick, Wob and Billy Liberator.
The event will be a fundraiser for Blue Cross Animal Welfare. Tickets are £6 plus booking fee. Contact Pete Cole on 07802 683738 or email [email protected]
Petersfield’s Shine Radio features local acts each Thursday from 9pm on Mandy P’s show (www.shineradio.uk)
Brian Player continues his Folk, Roots and Acoustic music show each Tuesday at 8pm on Wey Valley Radio based in Alton.
(free entry and 8pm unless stated)
Tonight (Thursday, June 2)
- Elsfest at Elstead British Legion with Los Doritos, Hot Wires, Witches Kitchen, Siren and Smokey Joe (4pm to 11pm)
- Vic’s Buskers Open Mic at Bat and Ball, Farnham
- Open Mic at The Good Intent, Petersfield
- Brodie at Ball and Wicket, Farnham
- The Gears and Scott Freeman at The Mulberry, Farnham
Tomorrow (Friday, June 3)
- Congakeyz at Prince Of Wales, Fleet
- Emma Baldwin at Bridge Memorial Club, Blackwater
- Guilty Pleasures at The Plough, Farnham
Saturday, June 4
- The Replays at The Traco Club, Aldershot
Sunday, June 5
- Big Jubilee Lunch at Gostrey Meadow, Farnham (from midday)
Monday, June 6
- Acoustic Café at Rose and Crown, Sandhurst
Tuesday, June 7
- Unplug The Wood at the Lion Brewery, Ash
- Julie’s Open Mic at Village Inn, Sandhurst
Wednesday, June 8
- Jam Night at The Plough, Farnham
- GT Live Sessions at The Britannia, Guildford