The works by gas firm SGN had proved problematic for motorists and pedestrians since beginning on January 8.
Barriers created a “slalom” and exposed clay made the road difficult to travel on foot.
Trouble with access meant passengers using school and rail replacement buses had to walk to the end of the road to be picked up and dropped off.
However, SGN told the Herald conditions had got so bad they were abandoning the project but will return later.
“We’re carrying out essential work to upgrade the gas network in Station Road, Bentley,” a spokesman said.
“Our project involves the replacement of old, metal gas mains with new plastic pipe to ensure a continued safe and reliable gas supply.
“We have paused our work and we’re currently resurfacing the road.
“We will be returning later in the year to complete our project and will consult Hampshire County Council to reschedule.”
The firm said it was a combination of “poor weather” and “difficulty accessing the road while another utility company are working there”.
Parish clerk Sue Hodder said she had been contacted by a number of residents and rail commuters about the state of the road.
She described it as “a mud bath” as a result of the numerous holes dug.
On top of that, a property at the entrance to Station Road is having an extension built and contractors are thought to have hit a main sewage pipe.
Two sewage lorries have been parked at the entrance to the road for weeks, pumping around the clock.
She said the “nightmare” situation had caused “utter mayhem down there”.
District councillor Ken Carter said he “felt sorry” for SGN. He added: “It was too difficult a job to take on at this time of year.”
While he felt the road had been “pretty bad” over the past weeks, work would cause less disruption if carried out during “decent weather”.