Alton slipped to a three-wicket defeat at home to St Cross Symondians in the Southern Premier Cricket League Premier Division on Saturday.

Despite having the worst of the conditions for much of Saturday’s reduced timed game Alton arguably had their noses in front for much of the day. With rain around St Cross won the toss and elected to bowl.

Two early breakthroughs for the visitors saw Alton slip to eight for two. Despite coming on and off for rain Ben Rolfs and Scott Myers held their concentration to move Alton to parity before Myers fell for 20 after another rain delay with the score on 86 for three. Rolfs moved to a well-made half century as Alton reached three figures, but Sam Ruffell was stumped for nine as the home side lost their fourth wicket.

Jude Wright strode to the crease full of confidence and took it upon himself to increase the run rate. With rain reducing Alton’s innings to a maximum of 50 overs Wright went on the offensive. Rolfs fell for a well-made 77, but Wright moved to 50 off just 38 balls before one shot too many saw him fall to leave Alton on 186 for seven.

The push for late runs saw Alton lose regular wickets as they stumbled to 194 all out off the last ball of their 50 overs, with Hampshire player Felix Organ taking five for 59 for the visitors.

St Cross had 45 overs to reach their target. Openers Organ and Wilf La-Fontaine Jackson started well with the rain clouds gone and added 65 for the first wicket. Zack Gadsby made the breakthrough when Organ cut to Rolfs at point.

Alton began to make inroads as a flurry of wickets saw St Cross fall to 88 for five. Gadsby took three for 23, with Rolfs picking up the other two wickets. Bash Walters returned and a further breakthrough reduced the visitors to 118 for six. Gareth Schreuder remained resolute and handled anything Alton threw at him. Schreuder and Jake Nichols moved the score to 162 before Nichols fell to Walters, with Mark Heffernan completing his third dismissal behind the stumps.

Schreuder (58 not out) and Kyle Puke (17 not out) saw St Cross home with seven balls remaining. Alton will look to take the positives into Saturday’s trip to Burridge.

Alton’s second team travelled to Ryde on the Isle of Wight on Saturday, and were denied by the barest of margins.

Batting first on a sporting pitch, Alton lost a couple of early wickets before collapsing to 55 for seven with Tom Durman (four for 30) ripping through the middle order.

Matt Crane looked to be positive and made a valuable 28, but it was youngster Wilf Bridger who got to grips with the conditions and the situation best. He made a superbly-constructed 58 to take Alton to a competitive 158 all out.

Alton took wickets at regular intervals in the Ryde reply, with Tom Andrews (two for 17) being particularly efficient.

Bridger returned with the ball to chip away at the home batting, and the game was in the balance with the home side 103 for six.

However, hard-hitting Tom Roscoe (41) took the game back in favour of Ryde before Bridger (four for 41) claimed two more wickets with just a handful of runs needed.

The scores were tied when Ryde’s ninth wicket fell, but last man Nathan Day skewed one just past gully to take Ryde to victory on a frustrating day for the visiting Brewers.

Alton’s fourth team fell to an eight-wicket defeat at home to Blackheath’s third team in Division Five of the I’Anson Cricket League on Saturday.

The highlight of the day for Alton was the return of former overseas star Ben Jansen, 17 years after he last graced the Jubilee Cricket Ground with his presence.

Alton skipper Martin Green chose to bat first. The pitch played well, despite some damp areas. None of the Brewers were able to support Jansen, whose 65 helped Alton finish on 125 for eight.

Blackheath reached their target in the 27th over. Jon Porter (one for 26) and Steve Ball (one for 21) were the Alton wicket takers.