Alton’s second team got beat Hythe & Dibden by 118 runs on Saturday in Division One of the Hampshire Cricket League.

Alton won the toss and elected to bat first on a used surface. Despite losing both openers early on, Alton moved past three figures at the halfway stage. Michael Heffernan fell for 35, but Joe Paul joined skipper Andy Postles and the pair took the game away from the visitors. Paul was the aggressor as he moved to a run-a-ball half-century. Postles moved past his 50 as Alton reached 200 with more than six overs to go.

Andy Postles scored 77 for Alton's second team (Photo: Mark Heffernan)
Andy Postles scored 77 for Alton's second team (Photo: Mark Heffernan) (Mark Heffernan)

Postles fell for 77, but the 137-run partnership with Paul meant Alton could attack in the final stages. Paul was dismissed for 86 as Alton closed on 262 for seven.

Opening bowlers Arul Appavoo and Tom Andrews immediately put Alton in control as the visitors slipped to 11 for two. Hythe rebuilt through Tom Richards and Keegan Fortune, but the required run rate continued to rise. Hythe required 167 off 18 overs when Wilf Bridger (four for 48) returned to the attack. He removed Richards for 49 before taking three further wickets as Hythe slipped to 140 for six. Andrews (three for nine) took the last two wickets as Hythe were bundled out for 144.

Alton’s third team beat Sparsholt’s second team by 57 runs on Saturday in Division Four North of the Hampshire Cricket League.

After winning the toss, Alton started superbly on a good pitch and fast outfield. Nilanka Kodithuwakku (63) and Howard Gadsby (72) put on 137 for the first wicket to set up Alton’s total of 249 for six from 45 overs. Sam Crook and Andy Pearce both made 31 with skipper Lee Partner (14 not out) finishing the innings in style.

Lucas Pearce (three for 26) and Partner (four for 30) bowled superb spells to reduce Sparsholt to 119 for eight. Matt Burgess (42) and Josh Stanbrook-Tomkins (44) kept Alton honest, but the Brewers claimed a comprehensive victory.

Alton's fourth team fell to a five-wicket defeat against Wood Street Village’s second team in Division Five of the I’Anson League on Saturday.