BROOK beat The Bourne on Saturday to clinch the I’Anson Division Two title and achieve a fifth successive promotion since the club withdrew from the Surrey Championship.

Brook played at a high level in the county league pyramid, but this season has perhaps been the most satisfying in their long history, with all the players contributing to the first team’s success, spirit and positive attitude.

The club returned to its village roots in the I’Anson Division Six, relying on local talent and a strong junior section to make progress through the competition’s ranks.

Tom Williams received the Herald Shield from competition president Keith Ellis.

Earlier, Brook had recovered from a bad start (22-1) against the bowling Matt Duncan to total 192-6, this despite a delay caused by heavy rain and hail.

Tom Williams and Paul Challinor dropped anchor in a stand of 55 and then Challinor was joined by Robin Hudson in a free-scoring partnership of 74.

Challinor hit three sixes in his unbeaten 82. For Bourne, Andy Rooke conceded just 18 runs in nine overs and Joe Morse took a superb low-level diving catch.

Bourne began well, with openers Rob Croucher and Nick Farr (29) putting on 47, but Jon King cleverly adjusted his pace to the conditions and removed the top order with a spell of 5-23 in nine overs.

Neil Cooper polished off the innings with 4-14 and Bourne were dismissed for 100. And so Brook began their celebrations.

West Sussex was spared the worst of the weather and Harting took advantage to gain a notable victory over Grayshott II.

After losing an important toss, Grayshott laboured to 123-8 in their 45 overs. Between them, Olly Simpson, Andy Wadey and Graham Nutting conceded only 34 runs in 27 overs. Opener Alistair Wheble made 20, but Extras top-scored with 24.

Harting also found run-scoring extremely difficult and were facing defeat until Harry Pickett came in to make a vital 33. The home side won by three wickets in the 43rd over.

On the day that they were presented with the Miller Cup by I’Anson secretary Gill Rooney, Division Three champions Tilford II beat Kingsley by 62 runs. Kingsley had no hesitation bowling first and restricted the home side to only 14 runs in 10 overs. The 50 came up in the 21st over and soon after Gavin Nesbitt departed for 31.

Skipper Martin Cantwell, hampered by a warm-up injury, tried to up the run-rate, but the unpredictable track was causing problems and Chris Wilson was hit in the face. After 35 overs, the champions were 95-4 and some late hitting by Hamish Macdonald got the score up to 137-9. The three Coopers shared seven wickets and Adam Robinson bowled a good nine-over spell.

James Clements found two beauties to dismiss Wayne Moulds and Steve Logan for ducks, but Robinson and Nick Booth dug in to share a good stand. Then Booth shouldered arms to a Ben Matthews off-cutter and Kingsley were struggling again. Martin Knott ran through the middle order and with some excellent catches held, the visitors were dismissed for 75.

Headley II and Peper Harow played out a game that had a distinct end-of-season feel, although victory over the eight-man visitors gives Headley a chance of climbing into the top five. Skipper Dom Johnson took five of the seven wickets required as Peper Harow were dismissed for 51 in the 23rd over, this after Glenn Taylor had hit Johnson for 14 in the second over of the match, including a beautiful straight six into the road. Johnson got his revenge and, thereafter, the batsmen could not cope with his teasing spin as he claimed 5-28 off nine overs.

Headley took 15 off the second over to ensure a quick finish. Paul Kelly hit three fours, while Ben Homewood (27 not out) was his usual aggressive self, smiting two sixes as Headley raced home in 6.2 overs.

Darren Bierton (37) and Will Crumbie (36) shared a fine opening partnership for Milford who posted what looked to be a competitive 179-9 against Blackheath II.

Ally Grant took an early wicket when Blackheath replied, but Fred Martin-Dye (62 not out) and, in particular, Joe Davis completely dominated the Milford attack. Number 3 Davis hammered an unbeaten 95 as the visitors powered to a nine-wicket victory in a mere 25 overs.

Grayswood II are hovering outside the top five after beating Grayshott III by 52 runs. Grayswood began badly, but Chris Locke and Graham Dooling took responsibility and added 57 for the third wicket. Dooling fell just short of his half-century, but Peter Locke played a determined knock and with a gift of 54 extras, including 44 wides, the home side reached a respectable 183.

Grayshott were batting only nine men, but openers Cam Oosthuizen and Graham Sampson put on 61 in 12 overs and the visitors were in a decent position at 90-3. Barry Owen continued to hold the innings together and was last man out (run out) for 46. Grayshott were dismissed for 131.

Abandoned matches: Div I – Chiddingfold 55-5 v Grayswood 256-8. Div II – Hindhead 89-9 v Fernhurst 24-1; Shalford v Badshot Lea 251-8 (Tim Gray 98, Ben Gray 42 not out).