There was plenty of entertaining cricket to enjoy at the first I’Anson Cup Finals Weekend at BOSC.

The weekend kicked off with the Committee Plate game between Frimley and Peper Harow.

Peper Harow won the toss and elected to bat, losing both their openers for ducks – not a good start in a 20/20 cup final.

Ayoub Ganai and Imram Choudhary came in to steady the ship. Choudhary went on to score a sparkling 63 off 51 balls, which earned him the player-of-the-match award and a Kookaburra bat.

Peper Harow finished the 20 overs on 121 for five on a ground where boundaries were hard to come by because of the damp outfield.

Frimley batted steadily but they weere always behind the asking rate, ending up on 108 for eight, with Foster Collins scoring 46 and Awais Ghaffar and Steve Bradley taking two wickets apiece.

The win for Peper Harow ended a stellar season for the club, both their teams ending up champions of their respective divisions.

Next up was the Committee Plate between the Frensham and Frimley senior sides.

Frensham won the toss and put Frimley into bat.

Frimley got off to a flyer with openers Hebditch and Fullbrook blasting their way to 48 for the first wicket in no time at all, until great bowling from Edwin Carrihill – in conjunction with Hilton Young – stemmed the flow of runs.

When Hebditch departed, caught behind by talented 14-year-old wicketkeeper Harris Khan – who kept superbly throughout – the runs dried up.

Good fielding and especially catching meant Frensham grabbed control with wickets falling regularly and it looked like a substandard score was on the cards.

However, skipper Carroll (23 not out) steadied the ship, then upped the run rate to give his side a challenging score of 119 for seven on a low-scoring day.

In reply, Frensham accumulated runs nicely, looking likely to take the game away, with Phil Moore controlling things and scoring a superb 56.

Meanwhile, though, wickets were falling at the other end, one of which saw a superbly-taken catch by Fullbrook on the deep long-on boundary.

He grabbed a big hit and, realising he would step over the rope as he fell backwards, threw the ball in the air and quickly stepped back on to the field of play to retake the catch.

This brought Frimley right back into things and Serious Cricket player-of-the-match Carroll came back into the attack to stifle the run chase, ending with fine figures of two for 20 in his four overs, as Frensham fell short by ten runs.

Sunday began with the Pope Cup, and Azmat Mehmood’s magnificent 91 from 44 balls fired Thursley to victory against Bramley.

Daud Nasir attacked from the off, hitting 41 from just 18 balls.

Bramley’s bowlers fought hard, captain Ali Holmes taking three for 23, but they simply had no answer to Mehmood, who combined big hitting with good running between the wickets to punish the fielding side.

His efforts helped Thursley to an incredible 199 for six from their 20 overs.

In reply, Bramley’s Andrew Tourney batted well, punishing the short ball to reach 32, but his side were always behind the run rate.

The total proved too much as Bramley reached a respectable 149 for seven from their 20 overs.

Thursley’s win marked a fitting end to their good league season as before the game they were presented with the Division IV champions’ cup.

The weekend finished with the Stevens Cup between Dogmersfield and Farncombe.

Farncombe won the toss and elected to bat. They got off to a steady start with Sean Burton scoring 33 but the introduction into the bowling of Miraj Shinwari saw a steady fall of wickets.

Shinwari finished with four for 20 – and was awarded a Kookaburra bat as player of the match – as Farncombe ended on 126 for nine.

Dogmersfield started slowly but the momentum grew with captain Sunny Dhanyal scoring a brisk unbeaten 52 off 40 balls.

Dogmersfield reached their target with five balls to go and were delighted to finish the season on a high after their disappointing league season.

Although they lost the game, Farncombe have had much to celebrate this season – two of their sides won promotion and the club were runners-up in the Women’s Championship.

The finals weekend proved successful with good attendance on both days, showing enthusiastic support for the teams.

Thanks must go to the umpires – Chris Grocock, Alan Stone, Eric Simpson and Terry Brockman – and to Headley Cricket Club who worked hard to stage the event. The league are grateful to the club and to BOSC, who were kept busy behind the bar and the barbecue.