Tilford won their first I’Anson League Division One match of the season at Grayshott on Saturday by two wickets in a close encounter on a drying wicket.

The hosts won the toss and elected to bat first but were pegged back by Tilford’s left-arm opening bowlers Jason Stones and Huw Town-Jones.

Andy Wheble was caught behind early on before Steve Saul joined his captain, Ali Wheble, and 38 runs were added before Wheble played on to first change bowler Dan Wrenn. Saul was increasing the tempo and had hit eight fours before he was well taken by Stones at deep fine leg for a well-compiled 56 off 69 balls.

Thereafter wickets fell regularly with only Stuart Kennedy troubling the bowlers with 31, including two sixes.

Grayshott were all out for 143 at the end of the 44th over with Town-Jones taking five for 25, Wrenn two for 32 and Stones and Nigel Martyn taking one wicket apiece in their nine economical overs.

In reply, Tilford lost three early wickets including that of skipper George Ellis as the score reached 31.

Henry Marks and Matt Cook restored Tilford’s fortunes with a partnership of 46 before Cook fell leg before wicket to Rob Smith for 22.

Andy Hall Hall and Marks added another 30 before Marks was out leg before wicket to Kiaran Wells to leave the match well balanced at 108 for six. Hall Hall and Town-Jones then put on 25 to nearly see Tilford to their target.

Hall Hall was caught for 36 by youngster William Edwards before Town-Jones saw the visitors home in the 39th over with a square cut for three. Wickets were shared between the main Grayshott bowlers, with Wells taking three for 24 and Jack Moore two for 26.

Defending champions Grayswood started their title defence with a seven-wicket victory at Frensham.

The visitors won the toss and elected to bowl first.

Phil Moore (31), George Breddy (23), Greg Smith (21) and Chris Pow (13) were the only Frensham batsmen to reach double figures as the hosts scored 134 for nine off their allotted 45 overs.

Henry Hind (three for 28), Jonjo Conway (two for 29), Cameron Kent (two for 36), Iain Jackson (one for 12) and Max Beckett (one for 22) were the Grayswood wicket takers.

Grayswood lost opener Thomas Barnardo (four) early on in their reply.

Iain Jackson (27) and Andy Major (22) added 47 for the second wicket, but when both fell to Tim Knight (two for 40) in quick succession, the visitors were 69 for three.

Callum Kent (45 not out) and Peter Millard (21 not out) knocked off the remaining runs to get Grayswood’s campaign off to a winning start.

Headley have secured the services of overseas player Alex Wenban for this season, but his debut for the first team ended in an eight-wicket defeat against Elstead.

Leg-spinning all-rounder Wenban joins the club having played grade two cricket in Western Australia. As well as playing, he is supporting coaching across the senior, junior and women’s sections.

Headley skipper Dom Jonhson lost the toss against Elstead and the hosts were asked to bat first on a damp strip.

The Headley top order succumbed easily and were 18 for five after only a handful of overs. It took Wenban (47 not out) and Craig Johnson (16) to respond and get the home side to a mediocre 83 all out in 27.4 overs – not the performance the club were looking for.

Headley opening bowlers Devyn Scott and Matt Hall were sent around the ground in the first six overs, leaving Elstead 45 without loss at the tea break.

Headley showed some heart and grit after tea. Dave Stone’s left-arm wobblers (one for 26), coupled with Wenban’s turners (one for 18), had the Elstead batters struggling, but the inevitable victory came in the 17th over.

Elsewhere in Division One on Saturday, Blackheath beat Midhurst by five wickets and Puttenham & Wanborough beat Farncombe by 38 runs.

In Division Four, newcomers Churt and Hindhead started their campaign with a 58-run victory against Grayswood’s second team at Lurgashall.

Greg Talbot (34) top scored for the visitors as they were bowled out for 106.

Joe Harrison (three for 12) starred with the ball as Grayswood were bowled out for 48.

Headley’s second team’s match at Harting was cancelled because the home side were unable to prepare a pitch.

In Division Six, Headley’s third team won by 41 runs at The Bourne’s second team.

Pete Daly, on debut, plundered a big-hitting 46 off 37 balls and the stroke-playing Hazel Wilkinson (35) produced some glorious drives as the visitors scored 157 for seven off their allotted 40 overs.

The Bourne were in the hunt early on in their reply, but they ultimately came up short and were bowled out for 116 in the 36th over. Tidy bowling from Algie Trotman (three for 19), Daly (two for eight) and Andrew Coutts (two for 15) secured Headley’s win.