Tilford beat defending champions Grayswood at the Green by 55 runs in an intriguing encounter between two closely-matched sides in Division One of the I’Anson League.

Skipper Ali Gloak won the toss for the visitors, who put Tilford into bat first on a pitch that gave some assistance to opening bowlers Iain Jackson and Henry Hind.

Matt Swarbrick fell early on to Hind, but Ciaran Rooney and captain George Ellis put on 61 before Rooney was caught behind off first-change bowler Alex Beckett for 38 with the total on 85.

Beckett then quickly bowled out the following two batters, and James Atkinson removed Ellis for 29 to leave the home side on a rocky 90 for five.

Jack Cantwell and Huw Town-Jones added useful runs but two run outs restricted the innings, with Cantwell the second-to-last wicket to fall for 31 as Tilford were all out for 160 after the maximum of 48 overs.

Beckett finished with a tidy three for 23 off ten continuous overs, while Jackson and Atkinson took two wickets each.

Grayswood suffered an immediate blow as opener Jackson holed out to deep mid-on from the first ball bowled by Town-Jones, with James Young taking an excellent catch. Cameron Kent followed with the score on 20.

Spinner Michael Braans then removed Atkinson, but the crucial moment came when he had Alex Tucker well taken by Town-Jones on the deep mid-wicket boundary at his second attempt for a robust 43 with the total on 76.

The last six wickets added only 29 runs, despite a rearguard action by the last two batters before Ellis brought himself on with only three overs left in the game to remove Hind caught behind.

Braans took three for 34, Town-Jones and Nigel Martyn took two wickets each, and Jason Stones took one for 12 off nine economical overs.

As a result, Blackheath took over as leaders in the division, followed by Grayswood, Elstead and Tilford.

Headley’s first team were hoping to pick up a second successive win, but they fell to a nine-wicket defeat at home to Grayshott on Saturday.

Headley won the toss and chose to bat first on a dry pitch. Openers Rana Rizwan (six) and Usama Abro (51) took advantage of the strong batting conditions and gave Headley a confident start.

Rizwan’s departure brought Calvin Bandi (ten) to the crease, and he held up an end as Abro reached his first half-century of the season.

Abro was bowled by Dan Brown (four for 33) and Bandi followed just before drinks.

Ryan Young and Hari Elisetti fell soon after drinks, but Dylan Harris (28) and Alex Wenban (60) rebuilt the innings and took the score past 150 as Wenban scored his first half-century for the club.

Headley declared on 196 for nine after 45 overs.

Devyn Scott (one for 36) took the early wicket of Andy Wheble (seven), but Ali Wheble (71 not out) and Stevie Saul (101 not out) produced an unbroken partnership of 168 as Grayshott chased the total down in the 35th over.

In Division Four, Grayswood’s second team earned a winning draw at home to Frensham’s third team.

The visitors won the toss and asked Grayswood to bat first on a sweltering afternoon.

It was clear from the start that the lightning outfield would help the score rattle along, and skipper James Perrin got off to a flier. At 48 for two the innings could have gone either way, but the skipper and Ben Twyford played and ran positively in a stand of 73 before Twyford was caught.

Ali Dow came in and continued where Twyford had left off, and with Perrin now in top form they added 84 before Dow fell for 41.

Perrin raced to his maiden century in 80 balls, and was eventually out for 128 off 93.

Some lusty blows in the last few overs took the home side to 256 for eight off 40 overs.

Frensham’s reply started steadily but the run rate kept creeping up with Aidan Stockdale and Graham Seddon going at four and three runs an over respectively. Grayswood put down three chances and both James Morris and Harry Falkiner went past 50.

The hosts eventually held on to a catch, which brought the hard-hitting Nick Green in with the game in the balance. He lived up to his reputation and hit the bowling to all parts until he holed out to a steepling catch by Seddon at long-off. Twyford and James Barlow picked up wickets and all of a sudden Grayswood had a sniff of an unlikely victory.

However, the eighth-wicket pair survived for a draw with Graywood much the happier team with their 20 points.

Headley’s second team slumped to their second defeat of the season, losing by 86 runs at Worplesdon & Burpham.

Headley won the toss and elected to field. Opening bowlers Adam Joyce and Kieran Cook both produced tidy spells, taking a wicket apiece.

George King (three for 23) came on first change and dismissed Dave Kelly (38) and Shahbaz Malik (40) in an impressive spell. Nikhil Vishwa (27) was trapped leg before wicket by Chris Joyce (three for 23) as the hosts were bowled out for 179 in the 43rd over.

Headley were then bowled out for just 93 in the 31st over. Andy Coutts (19) top scored.

Worplesdon & Burpham wicketkeeper Tom Blaxland impressed behind the stumps, taking three catches.