Young Rowledge bow out of National Village Cup

By Colin Channon   |   Editorial manager   |
Friday 31st July 2020 1:54 pm
[email protected]
Call this the summer? Andy Grimes of Liphook runs for cover as the heavens open – and the other players (below) head for shelter... (Photo: Nick Cansfield)

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

A YOUTHFUL Rowledge lost to Blackheath to bow out of the National Village Cup at the first hurdle.

The defeat may have been disappointing, but Rowledge will be encouraged by the spirited performance of three 15-year-olds in the side, and eight players under the age of 24 in the starting line-up.

After the Saturday deluge of rain, Rowledge lost the toss and found life tricky on a damp track.

The Blackheath bowlers were consistent and disciplined in their approach.

But for Rowledge, Ricky Yates with 45, and helped by cameos from Ollie Baker and Will Ryman, got the visitors up to 154 for eight.

And after the change-over, Rowledge were still in the game until the partnership between Will Melhuish and Alan Cope.

Melhuish chanced his arm, playing positively, and take advantage of any sort of width.

Cope, who has played first class cricket for Loughborough University, as well as Surrey’s second XI, played some classy shots, making quick inroads into the target.

A burst from Will Ryman threatened the Blackheath order but ultimately Melhuish guided his side to victory, ending on 78 not out.

Rowledge 154-8 (R Yates 45, O Baker 26, W Ryman 25; O Arengo-Jones 3-23, T Richardson 2-25).

Blackheath 155-5 (W Melhuish 78no, A Cope 33; W Ryman 2-32).

The previous day in the Southern Premier League, Rowledge travelled to Burridge and before the first ball had even been bowled, it was evident the game would not go the distance.

Rowledge were not surprised to be put into bat in very favourable bowling conditions.

Two good deliveries dismissed Plater, and then latterly Yates Jnr having grafted hard against the new ball.

Jake Wish and Jonty Sebborn were unbeaten when the rain came and promptly led to the game being abandoned. Rowledge were 56 for two after 15.3 overs with Wish on 18 and Sebborn on 16.

It was a bleak ‘summer’ day for cricket – every match in the league was either abandoned or cancelled.

In Division 2/3 East, Liphook and Ripsley’s first team took on Portsmouth and Southsea.

Liphook skipper Sean Burton won the toss and elected to bat on a day that at best was likely to be heavily interrupted by rain.

Conditions provided support to the bowlers and Liphook opener Rob Nicklin was soon back in the pavilion with the score on 11.

Harry Munt came out to join Chris Martin and they put on 30 for the second wicket before Martin was caught by Ollie Kanavan behind the stumps for 14.

Jonathan Pryce put on 50 with Martin before being caught for 13 and as the rain became increasingly heavy, the game was abandoned with Liphook on 91 for three after 22 overs, and Martin undefeated on 41.

In I’Anson League 6, Liphook’s third team travelled to Puttenham play Peper Harow.

Liphook skipper Al Lewis lost the toss and his side were invited to bat.

Openers Lewis and Mick Poore took to the field under a dark sky, and started strongly with Poore crashing the first delivery to the boundary.

This momentum continued and Liphook sped to 50 in only the seventh over.

With Lewis in excellent form, Poore rashly called for a single which Usain Bolt would have struggled to make, and Lewis was on his way back to the pavilion, having scored 31 from 35 deliveries.

Ross Seavill was bowled without troubling the scorers and suddenly 55 for two didn’t look quite so positive.

Last week’s century maker Richard Jarratt was in fantastic form again as he hit 22 from 16 deliveries, but then missed a delivery from Lee Bennett which destroyed his wicket.

Mick Poore was out leg before for 21, and Billy Allcock came and went after being snaffled by a sharp catch in the covers, as Liphook lost three wickets for just seven runs.

Andy Grimes (six) and Charlie Cuervo Moraga (two) were the not-out batsmen when the heavens opened and the players ran for cover.

The game briefly restarted an hour later, but it was clear the rain was set in for the rest of the day and the game was abandoned with Liphook on 102 for five from 23 overs.

More About:



To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0