Aldershot Town were left to rue missed chances as they were held to a 1-1 draw by Dorking Wanderers in the National League.

Josh Barrett’s second-minute goal gave the Shots an early lead in front of a crowd of 4,262 at the EBB Stadium, but Alfie Rutherford’s 75th-minute equaliser was enough to rescue a point for the visitors.

The Shots got off to the perfect start by scoring from the first attack of the match. Lorent Tolaj’s through ball picked out Barrett, who took a touch before confidently finishing past Dorking keeper Harrison Male.

The home side nearly doubled their lead on 15 minutes after a free-flowing move. Ollie Harfield clipped the ball in from the left wing to James Daly, who held the ball up well before playing it back to Tolaj. Tolaj’s half-volley was heading towards the bottom right-hand corner but was well saved by Male.

The Shots continued to look dangerous and created another good opportunity three minutes later. Theo Widdrington dinked the ball forwards to Tyler Frost. Frost’s backheel found Barrett, but his effort went over the bar.

Tommy Willard was next to go close for the hosts, but his left-footed effort from a tight angle was dragged just wide of the post.

Dorking’s first clear chance of the game came in the 41st minute, but Seb Bowerman blasted his effort over the bar from close range.

The Shots went close again a minute later when Daly slipped the ball through to Tolaj, but Male denied him with his outstretched arm before a recovering defender cleared the ball.

Frost was the next Shots player to nearly score, but he smashed his first-time half-volley over the bar after being picked out at the back post by Barrett.

Dorking nearly equalised in first-half stoppage time, but Isaac Philpot headed over from close range.

The Shots went close again before the break when Daly’s fierce volley on the turn was superbly saved by Male.

The home side continued to push for a second after the break. Tolaj slipped the ball wide to Tyler Frost on 52 minutes, but Frost’s powerful effort was well tipped over the bar by Male.

Ryan Glover nearly doubled Aldershot’s advantage on 64 minutes when he superbly controlled a crossfield ball and cut in from the left before firing his effort into the side netting.

The Shots went close again on 74 minutes when home keeper Jordi van Stappershoef’s long clearance was flicked on by Kwame Thomas. Daly beat Male to the ball, but his shot hit the side netting.

The home side were made to pay for their missed chances a minute later when Rutherford’s shot beat Van Stappershoef to make it 1-1.

The visitors had a golden chance to take the lead on 79 minutes when Charlie Carter was through on goal, but he was denied by a superb save by Van Stappershoef.

The Shots should have regained the lead on 83 minutes when Glover’s cross was dropped by Male, but Daly put his close-range effort over the bar with the goal gaping.

Dorking went close again two minutes later, but Jimmy Muitt’s shot went wide.

Tolaj had a late chance to win the game for the Shots, but his effort on the turn went over the bar.

There was still time for Jason Prior to go close for Dorking, but his shot was well saved by Van Stappershoef.

Tolaj nearly won the game for the Shots in stoppage time, but his header was superbly tipped over the bar by Male.

Next up for the Shots is a trip to Hartlepool United in the National League on Saturday (3pm).