Farnham Town manager Paul Johnson was pleased to progress in the Aldershot Senior Cup, but was disappointed with his side’s display in the last 30 minutes of their 3-1 win against Midhurst & Easebourne on Tuesday night.

Town took the lead in the 16th minute when Lewis Flatman’s composed finish found the bottom right-hand corner.

Farnham doubled their advantage on 32 minutes thanks to Owen Dean’s well-controlled header.

Flatman made it 3-0 in the 49th minute with a simple tap in, before Marcus Bedford pulled a goal back for Midhurst & Easebourne on 56 minutes with a clever finish.

“I’m pleased to get through as it’s a cup we want to try to go as far as we can in,” said Johnson.

“I thought in the first half we were good – and it was comfortable for us – but we’ll hopefully forget about the last half-hour really quickly because it was poor.

“There was a bit of complacency. We changed it up and took off a couple of key players – that affects it as it takes the bite out the game and it gave them an opportunity.

“I thought Joe Sowden came on and did well, though.

“I’ve just said to the boys it’s all about standards. You’ve got to set standards, and as much as it is about getting through in the cup, and we were good, that last half-hour should have been a real non-contest.”

Flatman’s two goals continued his promising start to life at the Memorial Ground, and Johnson was pleased with his number ten’s efforts.

“Lewis will score goals – he will always score goals and be a threat – so I’m happy he’s got another two tonight,” said Johnson. “It was also a great header by Owen for his goal.”

Shamal Edwards – who scored both goals against Badshot Lea on Saturday – continued his good form with another lively display which caused the visitors’ defence plenty of problems.

“Sham was a threat all night,” said Johnson. “ I think their centre-halves will sleep well tonight as they’ve been given the run-around. There were loads of positives.”

Johnson is eager to continue progressing in the Aldershot Senior Cup, and sees the trophy as a chance to bring silverware to the Memorial Ground.

“If we can get to the final then great – it will be another good turnout and another good day for the club,” he said.

Next up for Farnham is an away match against Cobham in the Combined Counties Premier Division South on Saturday (3pm), although the match will be played on Walton & Hersham’s 3G pitch.

Johnson is expecting a tough test for his side.

“I watched Cobham a couple of weeks ago and they looked a tidy side,” he said.

“It’s not the best 3G at Walton, but it’s a game where we’ll be confident of going there and getting a result.

“We want to keep building momentum – that’s the aim.

“The games are coming thick and fast, but it’s good.

“We need to be relentless and back this up and be ready to go again on Saturday.”