FARNHAM made a timely jump to top spot in London 3 South-West as the clubs adjourned for the Christmas break.

While a 12-try romp was brightening the December gloom at Monkton Lane, Eastleigh were wearing down Trojans 17-8 and, although still unbeaten, the Hampshire side now trail Farnham by one point.

Millbrook, making their first visit to Farnham, fought valiantly, but never looked like avoiding an 11th defeat in 12 matches.

The initial exchanges suggested that the Southampton outfit were going to be overwhelmed by a fizzing home team.

Pete Daly grabbed the initiative from the off, testing the Millbrook defence as only a 20-stone missile can. With speedsters in the backs – Ed Weeks, the Salmon brothers, James Corlett, plus Academy tyros Ben Jones and Reece Stennet – Farnham began to run the patterns.

However, a lack of concentration upset the rhythm and passes were spilled, leading to an untidy, frenetic period.

Hooker Lenny Jennings at last found space to barrel over for the opening try – converted by Toby Salmon – but Millbrook were not going to roll over and set their sights on a losing bonus point with gnarly, aggressive forward play. A 30-metre rolling drive was beaten back by the home back row of Dan Williams, Toby Comley and Daly. The visitors, not discouraged, put some fast phases together, but a clash of heads between flying backs Mike Randell and Mike Thomas called both physios onto the pitch.

Farnham took advantage and although the charging Daly was held up, his delightful pop pass sent the supporting Toby Salmon over for an unconverted try.

Off the bench came James Trodden and Cameron Armstrong (for the injured Weeks) and Millbrook responded with their first points, Mark Colmer kicking a penalty.

From the kick-off, Toby Salmon went through his entire stepping and dummying routine, culminating in an unselfish pass inside to Armstrong, allowing the UCA student to score his first league try for the club; 19-3 after the provider’s conversion.

Farnham flooded forward from the restart. Increasingly feisty scrum-half Oliver Brown freed up the back division and Ben Jones claimed the try, again converted.

Before long, that man Toby Salmon was breaking again, releasing winger Stennet for his maiden try. Salmon’s extras made it 33-3 at the break.

Farnham, hungry for more, did not disappoint the sizeable home crowd. Jones crossed over wide out and then came the try of the day as Daly, fed up with some indecision, set off on a 90-metre rampage. Defenders fell like nine-pins before the big man was gang-tackled, but again he managed to off-load and his delicious pass was telescopically taken by Comley; 45-3.

After another sweeping attack, Corlett ghosted through to bring up the half-century (Toby Salmon converted). A break by Mike Salmon set up Stennet for his second try.

Millbrook had been on the ropes for an hour, but at last countered with a sustained attack and a try for Mike McGrath after a lineout drive. Farnham pressed from the kick-off, but a floated pass was picked off by Randell who raced away for another try. Both were converted by Tom Colling and now it was 59-17.

It was festive fare as play swept from end to end. Skipper Mike Salmon went over in the corner and a mass break-out saw Jonny Davidson crash over out wide, Toby Salmon’s tricky kick taking Farnham’s tally to 71.

Back came Millbrook to pressurise Farnham under their own posts. Luke Wilson was adjudged over the line and Colling’s extras brought the bonus points in sight (71-24). But Farnham showed no charity and superb support play saw second rower Ian Williams over the line for the final points of the game.

President’s Podium Points: Pete Daly 3, Toby Salmon 2, Ben Jones 1.

* Farnham resume their league programme on January 7 with a trip to Bognor, followed by Trojans at home on January 14.