Farnham’s under-16s secure comeback thriller against Trojans

Sunday 6th February 2022 7:00 am

Subscribe newsletter

Subscribe to our email and get updates right in your inbox.

SUCH is the scale of the junior section at Farnham that the Surrey Cup competitions simply cannot accommodate all the club’s squads.

Therefore, last Sunday (January 30), an under-16s side faced Trojans RFC in the Hampshire Cup.

The team came up against a well drilled, strong and organised Trojans team. In the opening exchanges, the home side’s pick-and-go game put Farnham on the back foot.

However, the Farnham team kept their composure and stuck to the task at hand.

Despite ferocious tackling led by Ben Douglas, Trojans scored their first try early in the match but missed the conversion. Trojans came back from the restart to score their second try, which was converted to make it 12-0.

Farnham decided to put some width on the ball. The plan worked and with the Trojan defence split, Hamish Ferguson dotted down out wide.

Back came Trojans with another try, but unbowed, Farnham replied with their open, expansive style and Eddie Buckton went over to make it 19-10 at half time.

Farnham were particularly impressive in the second half.

James Grey provided a physical presence, and Farnham were next to score when Jasper Henderson went over in the corner to make it 19-15.

Trojans came back with a try of their own to make it 24-15.

However, across the park, Farnham were gaining the upper hand. From the restart, Farnham drove up the pitch to within eight meters. The ball was popped to Ollie Lewis-Gorton, who took two defenders with him over the line. Up stepped George Fletcher to smash the conversion between the posts and make it 24-22.

The two sides went toe-to-toe for five minutes until Farnham broke the midfield deadlock with a long raking kick down field. The Trojans defender clung to the ball and gave away a penalty. Farnham opted to take the points and a one-point lead, and Fletcher calmly stepped up and kicked the goal to make it 25-24.

In the final seconds of the game Farnham conceded a penalty on their ten-metre line and Trojans opted for a long-range kick at goal. The kick was inches short and the ball bounced off the crossbar and back into play. Farnham set the ruck, recycled the ball and gratefully hoofed it into touch for the final whistle.

More About:



To leave a comment you need to create an account. |

All comments 0