Alton manager Kevin Adair was content with his side’s efforts after they drew 1-1 at Sandhurst Town in the Combined Counties Premier Division South on Saturday.

The visitors were fastest out of the blocks and confidently moved the ball around the pitch.

The home side grew into the game and gained parity in territory, and started to threaten themselves. Sandhurst took the lead on 15 minutes when George Knight forced the ball home from a corner.

The equaliser came on 42 minutes. Perry Coles delivered a free kick into the box and Adam Brice cleverly used the pace on the cross to flick the ball into the far corner of the net – giving the home keeper no chance.

Adair made a subtle change to the shape of his side, and Alton were clearly on top at the start of the second half.

Owen Tanner combined well with Owen Lumsden down the right and shot just wide of the post as Alton dominated proceedings.

Coles then broke into the box on the left-hand side and drove a shot across the face of goal and past the far post.

With around 15 minutes to go Brice headed into the net from a corner, but while the players and visiting supporters celebrated the referee had awarded a free kick in the crowded box for pushing.

Alton’s Jamie Phillips was sin binned for comments he made to the referee following the decision.

Alton keeper Lewis Mees remained alert and cleared the ball away late on to prevent Sandhurst netting a winner.

“We’ve picked up a point and extended our unbeaten run, which are both good positives,” said Adair.

“Because of the run we have been on teams are now setting up to stop us and nullify us.

“I was impressed with Sandhurst. They have improved since the first time we played them, and I like what they are doing there.

“We’re in a play-off position at the start of February and are still in three cup competitions, so it’s a really exciting time for the club.

“If we can still be in the play-off mix come April we’ll have plenty to play for.”

Next up for Alton is a trip to Wessex League Premier Division outfit AFC Portchester in the quarter-finals of the Hampshire Senior Cup on Saturday afternoon (3pm).