A goal two minutes from time earned Farnham Town a 2-2 draw with Alton in a frantic Combined Counties Premier South local derby on Tuesday night.

The Brewers were left feeling hard done by as they created enough chances to have taken all three points.

Town went ahead early through Kane Fitzgerald after Rob Carr has seen his effort against his old club blocked on the line, but Siph Mdlalose levelled.

Town keeper James Ferguson made several outstanding saves before Mdlalose netted again to put Alton 2-1 ahead, and in a frenetic finale Liam Flanighan got on the end of a long throw to head the equaliser.

As tempers boiled over and the referee struggled to keep control, Farnham substitute Jack French was shown the red card for arguing too vociferously when he was sent to the sin bin.

Brewers manager Kev Adair was delighted with the work his players had put in but said: “It was disappointing to concede late on especially when I feel we controlled nearly all the game.

“They started better than us but after ten minutes I felt we had control – it was one of our better performances of the season.

“The front players did everything we wanted and were dynamic and caused them all kinds of problems, our midfield two controlled the game and as a defensive unit we looked solid.

“I have got to be really pleased with the performance but really disappointed to have dropped two points from the position we were in.

“We created some very good chances and took one we probably weren’t expected to, and missed two where we should have scored.

“We are on an upwards curve. We now look as if we will create seven or eight chances every game.

“It was a good local derby. That they had taken three of our players may have added a little spice but for us it was a case of coming here and getting the job done. Coming away from home and getting a point against a side who have set their sights on being near the top and being better, than them, we have to be happy.”

Coach Dan Goodall has taken the Farnham reins until a new manager is appointed and he said afterwards: “I think I have gone through every emotion in that game – I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.

“There’s a sense of relief to take something from the game.

“We got it wrong on the night – we overplayed against a team who had a lot of energy and pressed us high, and the pitch doesn’t play as well as it looks.

“When we went direct at the end we got something out of the game so maybe we need to rethink how we are going to play. We need to mix it up a bit – it may not always be pretty but we need to find a way to get results.

“It was a good local derby and Alton were up for it and probably thought we were there for the taking, after our performance last Saturday and our manager going.

“The positive is we stopped them having bragging rights over us and respect to the boys for keeping going right to the end and getting an equaliser.

“It was awkward for all of us, even giving the team talk before the game It felt a bit weird as I came in to work with Sean and we have brought these players in together, and all of a sudden someone is missing from the dressing room.

“It was a bit strange but I asked the boys to go out and perform for themselves. They kind of did that with the result but not really with the performance.

“We can’t dress it up – Saturday was awful. But we have good players and we need to figure out what the most effective way is to use those players to get results.

“The games come thick and fast now. Raynes Park away on Saturday will be tough – from what I hear from the players they want to stick together and we are good enough to close the gap on the teams above us in the table.”